Equestrian Statue of George II.
Appears to be in Modern Armour.
John van Nost III.
In 1760 Cork Corporation agreed to build an equestrian statue in honour of George II . John Van Nost III was commissioned as the sculptor. He supervised the modelling and casting of the statue in a foundry in Kift's Lane?. On 7 July 1762 the statue was unveiled. It was situated in the centre of Tuckey's Bridge which connected Tuckey's Quay, now part of the Grand Parade, and George's Street which we now know as Oliver Plunkett Street. At that time, a channel of the Lee flowed through the centre of the present-day Grand Parade.
To most Cork people the statue was known as 'George a-horseback'. On the pedestal an inscription read: 'The citizens of Cork erected this statue to the memory of King George the Second in gratitude for the many blessings they enjoyed during his auspicious reign MDCCLXII.'
After the statue was painted a golden-yellow colour in 1781 the statue became known as the Yellow Horse or, to Irish speakers, an Capall Buí. This is the origin of the Irish name of the street, Sráid an Chapaill Bhuí (the Street of the Yellow Horse).
In 1798 the statue was removed from the centre of the Grand Parade and placed at the junction of the South Mall and Grand Parade where it is shown in the photograph.
The physical condition of the statue deteriorated over the years to such an extent that it had to be supported by wooden crutches under the horse and under the right arm of George. On 3 March 1862 the figure of George was tumbled from his perch. Whoever it was that knocked down George's statue remained unknown, despite the offer of a £20 reward from Cork Corporation for information. Cork Corporation removed the entire structure and created a green space where the statue had stood. Local tradition claims that the last person known to have possession of the head of poor George was Mr Morton, a gunsmith in Cork in the late 19th century. The ignominious fate of the statue of George II calls to mind the old rhyme on the first four kings of England who were named George.
Vile George the First was reckoned
Viler still George the Second
No one ever said or heard
A good word about George the Third
When George the Fourth to Heaven ascended
God be praised, the Georges ended.
This information and photograph from -
With the Battle of Dettingen of 1743 in the War of Austrian Succession in the background.
After the original in the Royal Collection.
by the Swiss artist David Morrier (1705 - 1770).
Engraved by Simon Francois Ravenet
615 x 452 mm.
Morrier was a painter, particularly of military subjects who was brought to England in 1743 by the Duke of Cumberland who appointed him "Limner" in 1751 with a salary of £100. Exh. Society of Artists1760-68. After the Duke's death in 1765, royal patronage declined and he died in poverty.
I have so far been unable to find any other photographs of this statue. This one appears to have been taken shortly before the collapse, - the left hand foreleg is missing and it just possible to distinguish a prop holding it up.
For Roque's Map of Cork of 1759 see -
For Roques Map of Cork of 1773 see